It’s a new day …

I know that I’ve been absent from my blogging for a while.  And for that I apologize.  But it has been an interesting few months.

So of you may know, others may not, but I was training to run my first 100 mile ultra earlier this year (April 5th to be exact).  I was really excited, and training was going pretty well.  I had the usual aches and pains that go along with training to run that distance. Then on the 4th of March I was out for an easy run.  The top of my foot was sore, so I really worked on stretching it and not pushing it to hard.  I did some sprints in the grass, and was walking home.  I was about 2 blocks from my house, when I saw that the street sweepers were coming down my road.  The last thing I wanted was a ticket, so I started to run home, and then POP!!

I didn’t know what happened, but I limped home and managed to move the cars.  I went in the house and took off my socks and shoes only to notice that my big toe was floppy.  At that point I knew something was wrong.  Well, to make a long story short, I got a MRI, and my Dr told me that I had tore the extensor hallucis longus and that I needed surgery.  Needless to say, my quest for the 100 mile run ended.  The following week I was in for surgery!


Well, this is what my foot looked like 3 weeks after surgery.  I know … Not a pretty sight.  But the worse part is, no running, no nothing for 16 weeks!!  So what did I decide to do?  I decided to go ahead and get my shoulder fixed as well.  So yes, as soon as I was in the boot, which was 7 weeks after surgery, I went in for shoulder surgery.  Of course, it was worse than he expected, so the surgery took a little longer than expected, and it also meant that recovery would be longer.  Nothing like recovering from two surgeries at the same time.

So, what does that mean as far as training?  Well, it meant that all training came to a dead stop.  In fact, I was finally able to start walking the 18th of July!  But I was still in a sling, and still no running while my shoulder was healing.

Well, today is the day.  It’s the 11th of August, and I’m hoping that I will be released by my Dr this afternoon to begin running.  What did I do for celebration today?  I took my last long walk of 3.2 miles, and I’m ready to get back into it.

So what will you get from my blog?  I will be documenting my training and my diet as I begin to make my come back so that I can eventually run the 100 mile race.  I don’t have a time picked out yet that I will attempt the run again, but I will work on getting back my endurance and losing the weight that I gained while I was lazy for these few months.  I will say that as it stands right now, I only have two races scheduled.

My first race back will be the Space Coast Half Marathon on the 30th of November.  My only goal is to finish the race.  I have no time goal, and I will listen to my body to see how fast I will be able to run.  If I have to run/walk, then that’s what I will do.

The second race I have on my schedule is the Flying Pig Marathon the 3rd of May.  I intend to do a full marathon on that Sunday, as well as a 5K and 10K on that Saturday before the race.  Again, no time goals other than to finish the race, and begin training for an ultra at the end of the year (probably a 50K).

But this is what you will get.  You will get my training and my nutrition plan, along with how to do this while keeping your family happy.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy the bog and that you keep coming back.

~ by Greg Vick on August 11, 2014.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: